Here is a contest sponsored by .XYZ registry. The contest is simple. Register the best available .COM or .XYZ domain that you can come up with. This contest runs from July 13, 2015 to Sept 3, 2015. There are two rounds, with $1,000 going a person with the best .COM and another $1,000 going to someone with the best .XYZ. If I’m understanding this prize structure correctly, there will be a total of $4,000 to be paid out. The deadline for the first round is Aug 6, 2015. The second round submission closes at Sept 3, 2015.
Here are the official contest rules.
The story behind the contest:
Daniel Negari, the founder of .XYZ, produced a video where he states that it is…”impossible to find the .COM domain that you want.” In response to the video, Verisign, the registry for .COM, decided to sue .XYZ. That’s when this contest was born.
The judging will be based on 3 main criteria:
Conciseness: Size matters. A concise, one or two word domain almost always beats out a five or six word domain.
Memorability: Your domain is your online brand. Can you say the domain to a stranger and they’ll remember it?
Identifiability: Does your domain identify what you’re using it for? Does your domain include dictionary words without any typos? Will it pass the radio test?
On August 10th and September 7th, the following will be awarded:
- (1) $1,000 prize to the entrant with the best .XYZ domain name
- (1) $1,000 prize to the entrant with the best .COM domain name
- U.S. residents, 18 year of age or older
- Residents of Arizona are not eligible
- No more than 10 submissions per participant per week
- Unlimited number of participants
- Winners can’t win more than once
- XYZ employees and their family members are not eligible
- Void where prohibited.
- See the official contest rules for more details on eligibility
To enter the contest, visit TheChallenge.xyz
I have never entered a domain registration contest before, so I will give it a shot. Seems like a fun challenge no matter how it ends up.